Saturday, October 27, 2007

Orange Box Update Broke My Orange Box


This morning when I woke up I scanned the gaming news and saw that Valve had put out an Orange Box update. The update primarily had to do with Team Fortress 2. They were trying to fix some of the lag and balance issues. I booted up my system and got the update. Then I tried to continue my Half-Life 2 campaign. That's when disaster struck.

At first, everything seemed fine. The update downloaded, the game restarted. The opening menu was same as it ever was. I loaded up Half-Life 2 from the first menu.


The graphics were all messed up. At first, I thought my 360 might have locked or broke. But the menu looks fine and you can choose any of the options. I decided to try and load my game to see if it was just a minor glitch.


Nope. The game is messed up, graphically. It still sounds fine and I can run around, shoot people, etc. It just looks like crap.

I also checked Portal, the Episodes and Team Fortress 2. All had the same problems. I've searched the forums and haven't found other people experiencing the same problems, but the patch was just released last night so we'll see if it negatively affects other gamers as well.

4 comments:

Jester013 said...

MAJOR UPDATE: After I finished checking the internet and posting this, I tried The Orange Box again and now it's working fine. So if you run into this issue, shut you system down for a little bit and then boot it back up. (Mine was down for about an hour, but I doubt you need that long.)

Anonymous said...

Wow. that is really weird. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Jester013 said...

Now I'm worried that it might be the first signs that my 360 is heading to the grave.

The only game it's done it on is The Orange Box. However, yesterday, I got an E-74 error (which I get from time to time since buying it) and it had the same weird graphics look to it.

PuLseLoGiK said...

Hopefully all is well. That's what my guitar hero was doing right before my box coughed up the red ring. Good luck.